Re: [AD] legal stuff: patents

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:00:03PM +0100, Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:
> > How do you do that? Let Eric do it? Who represents Allegro? In fact,
> > given that Allegro is public domain, does it have to be protected
> > at all?
>
> A patent is a limited time monopoly granted by the state (or a
> multinational body) to an inventor. If someone else gives away
> a work for free that infringes on the patent, that is going to
> effectively render the patent useless. Not sure what a court
> would do with that though.

This is still an infringement. Perhaps the judgement could be much
harder, since the (possible) income loss to the patent holder could
be much more (free software is much cheaper than commercial one and
the distribution cant be controlled in any way - so no distribution
stop or fetch-back is possible).

<snip>
> In any case, I'm not sure if there could be any such thing as an
> official Allegro vote. Better for people to vote for themselves,
> and add "maintainer of ..." as, hmmm, credentials :)
Once all members vote, the whole project also can do it.

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

 fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@xxxxxxxxxx
 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
 Diese Mail wurde mit UUCP versandt.      http://www.metux.de/uucp/