Re: [AD] Documentation proposition

On 2003-08-14, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Ok, see this version of the patch.
>
> I've attached a reworked version of the ahack._tx stuff (not in
> diff format because diffs of diffs are barely readable). Feel
> free to modify it again.

Both commited without more changes.

> One remark: why did you turn e.g. into i.e.? They don't have the
> same meaning, and most of the time the right one is e.g.

Knee jerk reaction I guess, can't remember myself.

> Bad formatting for <endblock>?

These are so to avoid two blank lines in text version, maybe could
be fixed with a more intelligent handling of @retval.

> +@xref vsync
> +   Due to the polling nature of Allegro, even if your program is not doing
> +   much, other programs monitoring CPU usage will likely say that your
> +   Allegro process consumes nearly 100% of the CPU. This is inevitable:
> +   polling the keys, checking mouse coordinates or just updating the screen
> +   are operations which will fire up CPU consumption.
>
> I don't like this paragraph very much: Allegro is not a polling
> library. For example, under Windows, all the auxilliary threads are
> blocking so, given that readkey() is blocking on that platform too,
> you can have an Allegro program blocking on the keyboard input. The
> true reason is simply that a thread that is not blocking can be
> given 100% of the CPU by the scheduler (like with while(1);). So,
> as long as you program does something (i.e doesn't block), it
> can be given 100% of the CPU.

I removed it, maybe a better option will be suggested later. That
was an attempt to end those "hey, my Allegro program takes 100%
CPU and I'm not doing anything!" questions.

> +   char * as a parameter. type should be one of these values:
>
> "type" must be quoted (or something like that).

Ok. Maybe that should make it to the new ahack section? I recall
some other places using parameter without quotes. And what type of
quotes? I guess ".  Text mode version looks better `with these',
but they look crap in HTML.

> Did you watch T3 recently? :-) "the terminating null character"

Not yet, looks quite bad. I'll wait till T4, where both terminators
are female and saving Connor implies mud wrestling.