Re: [AD] Allegro 4.2 todos

> > - integrate OpenGL drivers where natively supported (and via Mesa
> > otherwise), from AllegroGL (heresy?)
> IMHO that's too late, we should have decided it right after releasing
> 4.0.0 if we really wanted to add it for the 4.2 series. But Bob can
> certainly give more useful infos on that.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the ability to have openGL calls
used transparently for Allegro 3D functions?  Why is this too late?
Since openGL is mostly similar across platforms it would mostly be an
issue of writing an install_3d() function, which would only set up
function pointers:

3D_AUTODETECT - uses OpenGL if the lib was compiled with support for
it, and if the hardware is present / drivers loaded; software
otherwise.
3D_SOFTWARE - force use of software routines (original allegro 3D
routines).
3D_OPENGL - force use of OpenGL, or fail if not possible.
3D_SAFE - probably just an alias for 3D_SOFTWARE.

It seems to me that this functionality could be carried out in a
similar way to the rest of the allegro drivers like joystick, sound,
and video; adding install_3d would be a way to keep the old 3D
functions running (IE, allegro_init automatically calls
install_3d(3D_SAFE)) and not breaking compatibility, while allowing
those who want to use hardware to do so.

As for time...  It'd just take a dedicated developer.  I think it could
be done for the 4.2 release.

Thoughts?
- Charles