[AD] MIDI player missing sustain

Here's a report I got recently:
"I have a MIDI, that's essentially a piano solo, which makes extensive use
of the sustain midi control. It plays fine with any media player; winamp,
winMP, whatever, but when I use it with allegro, for some reason the sustain
control doesn't function, leaving a very staccato and weird sounding piece.
I've tried using both midi formats (1 and 0) to no avail."
http://www.agsforums.com/sustain.mid

Is this a known problem with the allegro MIDI player, and is anyone who
understands how it works still around?