endianesse problems (was [AD] datafile.c bugfix)

On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 11:20:07PM +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> Thanks for spotting it. However, this code is little-endian only and, now
> that PowerPC has joined SPARC as a regularly tested platform, we must be
> careful about endianess problems.
>
> [As a rule of thumb, all the 24-bit graphics code is highly suspect because
> we need to manipulate 24-bit chunk byte per byte. Patches are welcome.]

Just tested the 24 bit colour code and exunicod on a SPARC station. Both
do indeed seem to have problems: for the Unicode example, I only see ^^^^^^^
strings and the occasional chinese character, while the colour rainbow in the
test program swaps the red and blue components compared to the 16 bit version
(tough to test though, since the display is locked on 256 colours).
I don't have time to look into a fix, since I don't have my home SPARC station
working yet and I'm going on a short holiday tomorrow.
Looks like I didn't do very thorough testing on SPARC in the past...

Evert