Re: [AD] Getting Allegro for MSVC to build with Cygwin

> Attatched is a diff of allegro\makefile.vc from version 4.1.9 and a diff
> of allegro\docs\build\msvc.txt from version 4.1.9

Applied to trunk and branch with tweaks. Thanks!

> msvc.txt now explains how to build Allegro for MSVC using Cygwin.
> makefile.vc now checks for the environment variable ALLEGRO_USE_CYGWIN and
> if it's present, sets UNIX_TOOLS to be 1 and when compiling runner.exe, it
> passes -mno-cygwin to GCC (question: Is there a reason why runner.exe is
> compiled with GCC instead of MSVC?)

Yes, the very reason why the 'runner' program exists in the first place! You
can't pass long command lines (a la Unix) to normal DOS and Win32 console
programs, so we need a translation channel, which is the 'runner' program.

It is compiled by GCC so it inherits the capability of accepting long command
lines and turns them into "response files" (kind of scripts for MSVC).

> In mscv.txt, it says "Allegro should work ok with MSVC versions 4, 5 and
> 6". Should we include version 7 too?

Sure. Now included.

> Do the makefiles and docs for building Allegro for other Windows or DOS
> compilers such as BCC or Watcom need changing too to work with Cygwin?

I don't think mixing DOS compilers and Cygwin is very recommended. As for
BCC, it is not (yet) a stand-alone port so it doesn't need a GNU environment
to be "built".

> Are there any other DOS/Windows based compilers supported by Allegro?

No, they are all listed in readme.txt:

   DOS/djgpp         - see docs/build/djgpp.txt
   DOS/Watcom        - see docs/build/watcom.txt
   Windows/MSVC      - see docs/build/msvc.txt
   Windows/MinGW32   - see docs/build/mingw32.txt
   Windows/Cygwin    - see docs/build/mingw32.txt
   Windows/Borland   - see docs/build/bcc32.txt

--
Eric Botcazou