Re: [AD] Grabber glitch (A.CC thread)

On 2003-05-11, Hein Zelle <hein@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Eric Botcazou wrote:
>
> > > To me, Rename is more important than New.  Maybe ^M for rename?
> > > It's next to ^N on my keyboard :-)
> >
> > The problem is that, if we change the shortcut for "Rename" in the 4.1.x
> > series, we will probably have to do it too in the 4.0.x series for the sake
> > of consistency. But "New" is not in the 4.0.x series...

Ah, yes.

> If we are going to make the change, at some point people will have to
> get used to ^N being new. I don't see much of a problem with the
> stable version using the old system. It is less consistent, true.
> You could consider changing the 4.0.3 version so it uses ^M instead of
> ^N, that way only the functionality and shortcut of New Datafile are
> missing.

I think changing the shortcut could be dangerous.  Someone might push ^N
for Rename by accident (let's say it is actually bound to New Datafile
in his grabber version).  Even if there is a confirmation prompt, it's
conceivable that that person instinctively presses Enter before reading
the prompt, leading to data loss.

I have to ask, is starting a new datafile such a common operation that
you need a shortcut key for it?  Alt-F N seems to be easy enough.

--
王浩禎