[AD] aRts driver

I just noticed there is a rather long delay (a fraction of a second, but
clearly noticable) between giving the command to play a sound and the
sound actually being played when using the aRts driver. There is no such
delay when using the OSS driver.
I'm not sure if this is a problem related to Allegro, or if it is the way
my system is setup. So far, I've only tried it on my machine, but I can
try on another later.
The problem occurs with 4.1.9, using KDE 3.0.0. My soundcard is an SBLive!
Anything I can do to track the cause of the problem?

Evert