Re: [AD] DJGPP & WinXP combo

> Every should know that NT doesn't support DOS in the same manner that
> Win9X does, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Allegro.cc is seemingly
> flooded with "Help! Allegro doesn't work in WinXP. I use DJGPP."

I think we should differentiate NT itself (3.51 and 4.0) from 2k/XP because
DJGPP has far less problems with the former than with the latters and they
are well known and documented in the DJGPP FAQ.

> Should I submit a patch that, upon detection of Windows XP/NT/2000, the
> person is told to not use DJGPP?

How would you detect them at configure time ? Would you be able to
differentiate NT from 2k/XP ?

> > fix djgpp
>
> If NT detected: "Warning: DJGPP does not work properly under NT. It is
> highly recommended to use MinGW32 instead"
>
> > fix msvc:
>
> If NT detected: Some sort of warning saying that DJGPP 'make' may crash.
> In this case, I don't know if there's an easy way to do a test to
> determine if the user is using DJGPP or MinGW32 to help build.
>
> Or should the warnings be placed in the makefile when the person types
> "make"?

I think warnings in docs/build/djgpp.txt and docs/build/msvc.txt should be
sufficient. But if you can come up with reliable detection methods, we will
of course use them.

- Eric