Re: [AD] Component ordering and mixing color depths

On Sat, Jan 11, 2003 at 12:34:12PM -0500, Robert Jr Ohannessian wrote:
> > IIRC Allegro uses the same byte ordering the video card is using
>
> No it doesn't, and this is my problem. No 32-bit screen mode was
> ever selected, only a 16-bpp one. So Allegro uses some default
> RGB ordering for 32-bpp bitmaps created.

Yes, I remember Shawn saying that the default ordering when no
graphic mode has been set is one which on most video cards comes
wrong. After all, setting 16bpp doesn't tell you anything about
the ordering of other color depths.

The default byte ordering was made so that people who don't read
the provided documentation (aka, load graphics before setting video
mode) writing truecolor programs had their graphics being drawn
in alien colors.  This was a long time ago, so it may have changed
since then, but explains your problem correctly.

Maybe this is solved if you first set all the color depths you will
be using, IIRC Eric made byte ordering of video modes not being
reset with mode changes in some previous WIP.

Certainly another problem to be solved with a5.