Re: [AD] framebuffer resolution

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 03:28:13PM +0100, Lo'oRiS il Kabukimono wrote:
> > [about allegro not changing framebuffer res]
> > Then I guess Allegro should. Start tracing :)
>
> i'll do ASAP :)
>
> *any* tips that would make me quicker finding what i should modify
> are welcome ^___^

The framebuffer code is contained completely in the src/linux/fbcon.c
file, and one of it's advantages is that you can take it out of
Allegro and with few changes it will work ok, which is nice for
debugging, you don't need special priviledges or weird setups to
make it work.

Probably the initialisation code is trying to test some feature
which may or may not be required by Allegro to work, and which is
not provided by your framebuffer. The file's credit point to Shawn,
George and me, and AFAIK we three used some flavour of matrox card
to test/use it, so it doesn't surprise me much that it doesn't work
for you. And vesa testing is not interesting, you can't change modes.

Start your debug session finding the point of fb_init/fb_open which
returns first, it should point to the culprit.

PD: Check your file access permissions, it's stupid, but it's the
first cause of 'fb not working' for most of my friends using linux.