RE: nebulous packfiles (was Re: [AD] pack_ungetc)

> Yes.  There are probably lots of ideas in the archive, but for now I'm
> thinking of the simple model of a chain of filters connected together,
> terminated by an "I/O unit".  The I/O unit is the part that actually
> reads from/writes to disk/mem/whatever.  Filters do encryption,
> compression, etc.

That's pretty much how I did this at work. Here's a few bits of
advice based on stuff I got wrong the first time I tried it :-)

Don't make too clear a distinction between filters and things that
do actual IO. I initially had a different structure for the two,
but it turned out that a lot of the higher level plugs need to
change all sorts of behaviours in weird ways, so it worked much
better to have all the objects look identical to the user, with
each one having a full set of methods and being in total control
of whether it passes some calls onto the module below it in the
chain, does real physical IO, or does whatever sort of weird
mangling before passing on the request.

I also found it useful to split reading and writing into two
completely different sets of objects, as a lot of my tasks ended
up being one-way only, and even when they do support both
directions, there was surprisingly little code that could be
shared between the two versions.

Here's a few of the things I ended up wanting to do with the
system:

- Compression.

- Archiving. The caller requests a file from the archive module,
which creates a lower level module to read the physical file,
reads the header, seeks to the correct part of it, and pretends
that the archive member is a single file. It keeps the lower
level worker file active between multiple calls, so if you
read many entries in a row from the same archive it only needs
to open the file and read the table of contents once, and if
you read them in order, it can avoid any seeks as well. This
module sometimes also creates temporary decompression filters:
depending on what it finds in the archive header these might
go right above the physical file but below the archive controller
(if the whole thing is compressed) or as the top level filter
above the archive controller if only individual members are
compressed. That means it needs to be possible for modules
to create new filters either above or below them in the chain,
and rebuild the chain on the fly - my initial version didn't
support that and it was a real pain to get working!

- Copy mode loaders: on Xbox these check if the file is on
the hard drive, read it from there if found, otherwise it
reads from the DVD and creates a copy on the hard disk at
the same time as it is being read (so the next access to
this file can avoid the slow DVD). Basically just a controller
that chains to various combinations of loaders and savers
on different devices.

- Checksum loaders and savers. The saver automatically adds
a checksum to the start of the data, and the loader tests
it and returns an error from the file open call if you try
to read a file with a bad checksum through it. Because these
need the entire file to be available for the checksum
calculation, they can't be streamed, so they are built on
top of the cache filter:

- Memory caching. When saving, these buffer up all the data
in memory and only actually pass it on to the lower level disk
access filter when you close the file. When loading, they
read the entire file into memory when you open it, then the
read calls can return data from this buffer. We used this a
lot to speed up bits of code that needed to re-read the same
parameter files: rather than a complex restructuring of the
code to only load the file once, we could load it into the
memory cache, then read it multiple times very quickly.

- Access to weird devices, like Xbox memory units.

I reckon if you can design a system that would be capable of
supporting modules for all the above uses, it will be able
to deal with anything people are likely to throw at it!

--
Shawn