Re: [AD] patch for windows NTFS file attributes

> Allegro doesn't play nice with NTFS extended file permissions (attributes).

Damn! Once again...

> The patch I included looks really ugly to me, but I don't know how else it
> would be done without any major rework. Basically I just want something that
> works so when I use an Allegro game / util (like the Grabber), I can get
> files off of my file server. :)

The patch is ok; however, I wonder if it wouldn't be safer to also include every existant
(that Allegro doesn't handle of course) and future flags in the mask. What do you think
about that ?

> On a related note, would it be possible to have Allegro use the common file
> selector under Windows if you are in a windowed mode? It's a simple API call
> that accepts both flags and filters, and it shouldn't be that hard to
> implement.

Interesting proposition, but which breaks the (implicit ?) rule of the unique
look-and-feel (admittedly somewhat poor in this case) of Allegro programs on all
platforms.

Should Allegro enforce it, or leverage the features of each platform it is running on ?

> I know the programmer could do it himself on a per game basis,
> but the Allegro file selector is very annoying to use under Windows if you
> store things on the desktop or in your personal folders.

Yes. I suppose a solution could be to enhance the Windows-specific file handling code, but
I don't know whether the current framework (basically a pure DOSism) simply can handle
these "virtual" folders.

> I cannot think of a reason why anyone under Windows in a windowed game
> would prefer the Allegro file selector, but perhaps a valid one does exist?

Unique look-n-feel of various platforms is the only reason I think.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx