Re: Fw: Re: [AD] messy allegro 5.0 stuff

> Personally I'd find a polling system cleaner (and it would
> remove the need for any input-related threads), but I don't
> think it matters very much.

I agree that a polling system is internally cleaner, and more lightweight to
implement because we don't need threads for input at the lowest level. But
wouldn't this advantage be outweighted by the need to implement a
cross-platform thread/event/synchronization API a la SDL, if we wanted to
provide in Allegro 5 the same asynchronous framework as in Allegro 4 ?
Unless of couse we decided to simply drop the whole asynchronous
framework...

> I think that is one of the first things you need to decide:
> how much is good to keep, how much could benefit from being
> improved, and how much anyone can be bothered to actually
> do work of rewriting things :-)

Yes, I think there are a couple of fundamental design decisions to be taken
quickly.

> So it might be possible to choose quite a different structure and just
> change existing low level stuff to work with a newer framework...

Unfortunately ;-) I can't disagree.

---
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx