[AD] BeOS fullscreen crashes with Allegro 4.0

Running the Allegro demo game (or any of my own projects) in
fullscreen crashes BeOS (PE 5.0.3) when using 4.0. This did not
happen with the previous Allegro version I used (3.9.37). It doesn't
matter which fullscreen driver I use. The program starts but doesn't
enter graphics mode. Instead, the OS freezes. I can move mouse
pointer around, but other than that nothing works and I have to
CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot. Interestingly, it doesn't always crash. After
rebooting five times I actually got the game to start using both
normal fullscreen and safe fullscreen drivers, but then I tried
autodetect and it crashed again. Since the 3.9.37 lib built static
version of Allegro by default, I tried this, but the problem is still
there.

I updated binutils and GCC as requested in the build docs for 4.0.
Maybe that is the problem? It wasn't stated which file to get, except
to find it on bebits. I found two archives on that site, one with
only binutils, and one that replaced the entire gnupro directory. The
first link didn't work so I downloaded and installed gnupro-
20010413.zip, giving me GCC 2.95.3 and ld 2.10.1. I tried to compile
with the original devtools but that obviously didn't work.

BeOS is running on a CeleronA 300@xxxxxxxxxx with RivaTNT card.

--
Sincerely,
Daniel Schlyder