gui things (Re: [AD] Leveraging the OS' window management)

>Simplify it
>-----------
>

>Leave it alone
>--------------
>

>Replace it
>----------

I'd go for 2.

I use the GUI a lot for simple ad-hock tools, and it works quite well, removing widgets is
imho a Bad Thing as it will break backwards compatability severely.

(though the auto opening of menus should probably be removed, since it creates a lot
of complexity, and doen't really ad any funcionality).

As I've stated before, I think we should try to fix the broken things, and not the working
things.

Breaking the api is one thing, but IMHO we should still try to maintain as
much backwards compatability as possible.It's nice to have an elegant and small
lib, but it *must* be possible to convert allegro 4 programs to allegro 5
programs without the need to rewrite large parts of them.

-Renaming the api is good.
-Fixing inconsistencies is good(src/dest of blit/draw_sprite).
-Removing totally useless stuff which is also messy (cpu detection for example)
 is probably OK.
-'Fixing' perfectly working stuff is IMHO not a smart thing to do.
-Removing things should be thought over very long & hard and they should
be moved to an add-on , and not thrown away.

All this talk about completely changing the whole of allegro scares me a bit,
I think it will make the wole 4->5 transition way to slow and complicated
and also scare away a lot of users.

all IMHO ofcourse.

--

Martijn Versteegh