Re: [AD] Proposal for an input model

> 4. Add a thread API, or tell people to use pthreads, and provide an
>   example (or possibly even some functions) about how to have
>   `callbacks' anyway.

I'm aware I'm a little too Windows oriented ;-) but the big advantage of
having an internal asynchronous framework is that input drivers can provide
private hooks so that the input thread can *block* and not poll (that's
precisely the case with DirectInput).

> This has the advantage that it doesn't require much code / maintenance
> and keeps the library simple and efficient, but the disadvantage that we
> may upset coders by leaving too much up to them. Where to draw the line?

That's clearly the right question, and not only for the input model. Allegro
4.0 may be bloated, but it assumes responsability for many things in the
background and is very easy to use thanks to that.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx