[AD] vsync() in Windows?

When I start my little paint program in 8-bit on a 32-bit desktop (G400,
GFX_DIRECTX_WIN, Win98SE)  And set a palette, the screen flashes between
black and my color 0 for about half a second and everything draws all black
to begin with until I refresh.  What I need to do is pause until the palette
is fully installed.  Several vsync()s after setting the palette does not
help.

I tried GFX_GDI and GFX_DIRECTX too, they are the same.

I tried 8,16 and 32bit desktop depths too, that's the same too.