Re: [AD] Possible new features for Allegro?

From: "George Foot" <gfoot@xxxxxxxxxx>

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 04:35:42PM +0200, Tero Laitinen wrote:
> > I have been thinking what features I should start contributing to
Allegro.
> > What kind of library we want it to be? A bloat easy-to-use all-purpose
game
> > programming library or a light layer that just ensures portability
within
> > different platforms? The current state is nearer to the former....
> > Maybe Allegro needs some high level features that are commonly used in
games,
> > such as scripting and physics engine, maybe not. Also I would like to
see a
> > music module/mp3 playing library integrated to Allegro.
> > I know these are all available as separate libraries but it would be
easier
> > to use if Allegro provided them.
>
> (re: whole thread)  Good grief!  I'd much rather take things
> *out* of the core of Allegro, split it into separate libraries
> (distribute them together if you like), so that people can pick
> and choose.

There has been movement toward a gigantic package (what was it called?
Grozilla?).  I would prefer to keep large chunks separate, but possibly
integrate some small features that are now separate such as the GUI theme
enhancement.

What I'd like to see is the most popular/best designed add-on's reach
"offical" status, so the conductors team can help keep them in sync with
Allegro proper, but keep them as separate packages.  We should also split of
monolithic chunks like the 3d code and make that into a separate package.
MIDI should probably be split off and into two chunks input and output, with
any common code on the output side.  I'd like to see the GUI stay, with the
addition of the theme code, but keep additional themes (other than basic
"classic" Allegro, Win9x, and X themes) and widgets as add-on packages.
I'd like to see the datafile manipulation code in Grabber librarified and
maintained as an add-on.

Each of these add-ons would end up with their own Windows DLL for the
Windows port, reducing the weight of the lib for people who may want to use
Allegro in, say, an installer.

--Chris