Re: [AD] Shawn's thoughts about new Allegro

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 11:19:59AM -0500, Bob wrote:
> There you go, in that ~200ms needed to draw the frame, the key the user
> pressed was lost. This is really frustrating on game where timing is
> evertyhing. You see the problem? At 5 fps, there's a 200ms window where no
> input can be detected, regardless of the actual rate of the logic loop.

Bob, I somehow have the feeling you are from another universe (no offense,
I am a foreigner where I live and "the natives" treat me like that
already), because I can't explain myself why I'm unable to understand
your perspective. Please be patient with me :)

"timing is everything" and you have some clunky 5 fps? Come on, you
surely must have a better argument. Otherwise I don't see how the user can
benefit having precise input with _very_ unprecise graphic representation
(the lowest I could accept from one of my own games was 15 fps, below
that it was not a game, just a useless slideshow).

> Now, although the user pressed the key for over 200ms, it was really
> detected in only 2 logic loops, which means that the game thinks that the
> user only pushed the key for 2/100 = 20ms instead of 200ms.So the player
> only moves by 1/10th of what he should be moving to.

Now, what do you do with the fact that al_readkey() uses a serial buffer
and can't detect simultaneous key presses? And I am saying the kind
of pressing up, right, alt to slide, firing continously and pressing a
third button to release some bomb.

--
 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha@xxxxxxxxxx   http://gradha.infierno.org/