Re: [AD] to prefix or not to prefix (sigh)

Peter Wang wrote :

> Ok, I had a go at Bertrand today in #allegro, and here's what
> resulted: a compromise.

Peter and I are the politicians of the Allegro community ;)

> * 5.0: The API will be the same as 4.0, but with prefixes.  It would
>         be released "not long" after 4.0.  Consider this a stepping
>         stone.  The schedule for this is to be decided, but I
>         suggested about one month.  The CVS branch for this would be
>         opened very soon after 4.0 (a week or so).

In other words we will keep the "functionality freeze" until 5.0 is
released. It is the best way IMHO for 5.0 to be released ASAP. Of course
bug fixes can still be applied to both branches during this period. This
way the delay between the 4.0 release and the 5.0 release will be equal
to the time we need to prefix the whole library and hopefully this delay
will be short...

> * 5.2: The prefixed API, with new features.  Once people are used to
>         the new API, we would release this.  {Once this is out, 5.0
>         will be in the same state as 4.0 (i.e. maintained but not
>         developed), unless 5.2 provides some sort of 5.0 compatibility
>         mode (then it would kill off 5.0).

(???) 5.2 is supposed to be backward compatible with 5.0. We will break
API once and only once. After 5.0 release I will join the "backward
compatibility with 5.0" community :)

[snip]

> So, what do you think?  Please voice your opinions before it's too
> late.

I have not changed my mind since yesterday. I'm still being all for this
compromise.

	Bertrand.