Re: [AD] This is a call for translators' preparation

Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> Frédéric told me Netscape 4.x seems to have problems with utf-8.

Confirmed with 4.7: it gives garbage, with a few English words in
between. It doesn't even work with Swedish and other Western European
characters, for which I do have fonts installed. Not even the good old
åäö seem to work when the rest of the page is utf8.

> I personally feel tempted to say that's an old an unsupported browser,

No, please! Everyone I know use Netscape 4.* (including my whole
university). I know a couple of people who installed Mozilla, but they
switched back to 4.7 because Mozilla was too buggy. So please don't
consider 4.* unsupported! Can't you use the usual encoding (whatever
it's called, the one where you use åñ etc) for all
languages where it's possible, and UTF8 only when no other alternative
is available?

> I have not Opera, maybe somebody could comment about this browser
> which seems to be quite popular.

Gives the same garbage for me, but I have a very old version from 1998.

> BTW, one possible place where Korean characters would show always is
> every page's header:

Maybe this special case can be done with bitmaps on non-UTF8-pages?

I don't mean to put a lot of work on your shoulders, in case it is more
complicated to have different pages encoded differently, but I think
it's important that they work with Netscape 4.7. In case it matters,
versions before 4.7 don't need to be considered: they are not
Sourceforge-compatible.

Btw, thank you for your excellent work on the Allegro pages! They are
among the clearest and most well-structured I've ever seen.

Sven