Re: [AD] official beta (Re namespace again)

On 30 Oct 2001, Sven Sandberg <svsa1977@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:
> > It kind of bothers me to have this fork, for no reason that compels
> > me. Having a branch with unprefixed stuff that will have to be
> > maintained (somehow), without a foreseable end. Merging patches from
> > the HEAD might prove more and more troublesome as HEAD evolves,
> > becoming a real burden.
>
> This is a fair argument, although I think that 4.0 would stabilize to a
> bug-free library fairly soon so that no more support is needed.

After that, it should be just to keep the thing compiling.

> But it
> also gives me a new idea: We could keep the old and new libraries
> together, and optionally compile the old library during make.

George also sent me an idea in private, which was to run the 5.0
source through a (gigantic) sed script, and a 4.0 compatible version
would pop out the other end.  I think it could work if you were
careful with what you do in 5.0.