Re: [AD] About findfirst (2)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2001 at 12:56:16AM +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > The field 'name' contains the stripped name of the file (without the path).
> > I think 512 chars should be enough, even with UTF-8 strings.
>
> :-) I've been following for some time HURD development mailing lists and the
> biggest problem they have with porting programs is the use of fixed limits
> in structs and such, because HURD itself doesn't impose any limit on
> anything, so AFAIK you could have a 2387 long filename somewhere just for
> the pleasure of crashing programs.

This is the same for Linux. Quote from info glibc 'Limits for Files':

 - Macro: int FILENAME_MAX
     The value of this macro is an integer constant expression that
     represents the maximum length of a file name string.  It is
     defined in `stdio.h'.

     Unlike `PATH_MAX', this macro is defined even if there is no actual
     limit imposed.  In such a case, its value is typically a very large
     number.  *This is always the case on the GNU system.*

     *Usage Note:* Don't use `FILENAME_MAX' as the size of an array in
     which to store a file name!  You can't possibly make an array that
     big!  Use dynamic allocation (*note Memory Allocation::) instead.

FILENAME_MAX is defined to 4095 in glibc-2.2.3.

> > > PD: So what's the latest decission on keyboard mapping names? :)
> >
> > Maybe a little vote ? ;-)

> FWIW I don't mind if keyboards use the name of the country, language, or
> president of the USA, I will only vote to have it in the native language,
> not in english.

I was thinking about it, and it could be nice to have it translated into
all other languages.

> And as for the other posts about having japanese characters or whatever,
> yes, I think this is needed. However, since there are lot's of them, only
> the required characters to display allegro standard messages should be
> included, if the user wants full language support, (s)he should get a
> proper unicode font, which is a great task itself.

Are you thinking about adding japanese to standard Allegro font? It's 8x16
fixed size and it was hard to draw Latin Extended-A into such small space.
Japanese will be even harder. Setup font is notmuch bigger, it's 8x20 max,
I think.

Have a nice day.

Stepan Roh