Re: [AD] [TODO] About findfirst

On 10 Aug 2001, Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I may sound a little extremist, but I think we should get rid of the three
> functions as non portable DOS-isms.

I agree in principle, but the emulations are quite useful in various
situations (imho).

findfirst is:
- native under djgpp, and other platforms
- emulated under Unix, and other platforms
- not emulated under Windows, maybe some other platforms
  (but really easy to emulate by the user under Windows)

I suggest we just write in the `findfirst' docs:

   The find* set of functions is depreciated. They are not really
   part of the big happy Allegro family, but are provided under a
   few platforms by Allegro to help with portability.  If you are
   writing a new program, you should use for_each_file() instead.
   The find* functions may be removed in later versions of Allegro.

And make good on the threat in 4.2 or thereabouts.

--
tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.alphalink.com.au/~tjaden/
KROGT (kraht, chemical symbol: Kr), n.  The metallic silver coating found