Re: [AD] The return of the ^M characters from hell.

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> Sorry? How do ^M's contaminate the diffs? Or is diff confused when
> comparing a UNIX style text file and a DOS style text file?

You just hit the pot: the problem is comparing files in style UNIX vs DOS.
AFAIK the Allegro documentation has always been in unix style. Somebody
has a "hard" editor which modifies the whole file to dos style every time
it's modified, and when it's commited, diffs contain the whole file due to
those ^M characters.

This is not a holy war about what style is better: if the source was all
in dos style, I would be then "The ^MKeeper". The problem is changing
style between commits, which is bad because forces a whole file download.

--
 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha@xxxxxxxxxx   http://gradha.infierno.org