Re: [AD] Big BeOS changes

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Angelo Mottola wrote:

> But first, I'd like to inform you all I've just applied a very big patch for
> the BeOS port, which fixes the following things:

I would just like to say that it looks like the BeOS port has come a very
long way since I started it and I probably would not recognize it anymore.
I'm glad that someone has been able to bring it to its current state
because it got pushed over my "priority horizon" a long time ago.  I would
like to thank everyone who has worked on it for their contributions.
Thank you.

I hope I didn't do anything too brain dead which had to be fixed at the
cost of someones time.  I would like to think that the conventions and
methods I used, and their consistent use throughout the driver code
helped.  I apologize for the lack of comments ^_^

I probably spent the most time on the keyboard code, which I wanted to act
exactly like Be's normal keyboard input method for non-ascii characters.
I don't think I ever got the code unicode aware, or even UTF-8 aware
however.  I bet that either the keyboard code has been ripped out because
someone felt it was totally wrong, or never touched again because it's too
scary (there are a couple of small bugs in it).

I hope that graphics acceleration made it into the graphics driver.  I
always meant to get that driver written, because I had a paper version of
the documentation for the driver hooks which seemed to have disappeared
from the web.

I had fun while I used BeOS.  It was great to have a fresh start. It's too
bad I have so many other things to do.  Keep up the good work ^_^

Later,
Jason Wilkins