Re: [AD] I've made a modification to the set_gfx_mode function

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:09:30AM +0100, Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:
> > I understand that if I want my modification to be included, I
> > should submit
> > a patch. How could I create a patch file and where should I submit it?
>
> You need to have two Allegro trees (or two sets of the files you altered).
> You also need to have diff (the program that generates the patch). If you
> have a MS system, you'll have to fetch this as you probably won't have it
> yet: it can usually be found at the same place as DJGPP.
> Then you cd to the dir where you have these two installs (a clean one,
> preferrably from the latest CVS sources, and the other with your mods).
> Then you issue:
> diff -U 3 allegro_old/ allegro_modified/ > foo.diff

If your original copy of Allegro came from CVS then you can
instead use `cvs diff' to get a diff:

    cvs diff -u [filenames]

The filenames are optional; it will recursively do all files if
you don't specify any.  You probably want to capture the output.
:)

The problem with this is the result isn't quite as easy to apply
if you've modified a lot of files in different directories.  For
one file, though, it should be fine.

One nice thing about using CVS to do the diff is that it will do
the comparison from the version you checked out, not the latest
version.  So if other changes have already been applied by other
people, your patch won't list them as things you've deliberately
deleted.  Best of all, though, is to do a `cvs update' before
making your diff -- this will merge in any other changes, so you
can test the result and post a diff based on the latest version
of the file.

George

--
Random project update: