Re: [AD] WIP time?

On 01 Jul 2001, Laurence Withers <lwithers@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >- load_bitmap constructor problem.
>
> OK, I fixed this by adding support for destructor functions. These can
> probably be used elsewhere within Allegro. Now, if constructors and
> destructors are supported, the bitmap reader will initialise itself when
> the library is actually loaded, and deinitialise when the library is
> closed, irrespective of when allegro_init() and allegro_exit() are
> called. A call to allegro_exit() will trim the list to Allegro-supplied
> functions, however.

A bit weird, but probably okay.

> Some things to note:
> 1/. I'm not sure that the preprocessor directives I used are ANSI or
>     just a gcc thing (since I have only ever used gcc). Could somebody
>     please confirm?

It's pretty common and used elsewhere in Allegro, so I assume it's fine.

Patch committed.

>  - Rewriting gfx_init(), so that it is more readable, and so that we can
>    use a dynamic driver registration thing.

I had a look when doing the Unix modules.  It turns out Shawn or
someone else had already designed things to be very flexible.  The
system driver can provide a "get driver list" function for each of
gfx, sound, ..., which can return anything you want, including a
dynamic driver list.  Then I added some functions to make doing this
easier (src/drvlist.c in CVS).  So the driver registration idea is
already done.  The `set_gfx_mode' rewrite is back in the wishlist.

>  - Making more use of the FAQ list. Some questions come up regularly,
>    especially on the allegro.cc boards, and I think we could put them in
>    the FAQ. I think the FAQ could probably do with a general overhaul
>    and reorganisation, anyway. (Example new question: "Why can't I use
>    a C++ object method as a GUI procedure?").

   "Why are all my colors messed up?"

	For the last fscking time, you have to set the video mode
	!!BEFORE!! loading graphics.

More generally, we also need to go over all the docs before 4.0.  A
lot of it is very DOS/DJGPP specific.  Some of it shows its age from
the Winalleg era, too (I think; maybe that's changed).

--
FATIMA membership pending.