Re: [AD] Optimized rotation routine

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Sven Sandberg wrote:
> > I think not including it is the right way as long as
> > you manage to put it in an addon.
>
> What are you referring to as `it' here?

The part where you said "duplicating API entries" or something like that.
It's probably not liked by anyone here :) Putting the new necessary
functions in aintern for addons looks good to me.

> Sorry, I forgot to mention that the test just does a
> silly test by default (it calls the routine repeatedly
> with random arguments, so that I can go and do
> something interesting while it checks itself for
> correctness). I changed it to do something visible,
> then compare speeds and print the results to
> allegro.log. The new version is at
> http://www.geocities.com/ssven.geo/rotation.html

Aha, much nicer. With this test it would be incredible that your
improvement didn't get merged with Allegro. Apart from the speed, it's
really impressive how smooth you rotate the sprites, even after zooming
them. Nice work. I wonder if you have any connection to the render
routines of "Tetanus on Drugs", which shows a nice use of rotations.

> Strange, I included it so that the program could use
> djgpp's better random() function on other platforms,
> but obviously that wasn't a good idea...

Hmmm... but I thought djgpp's random came from gcc's (linux) random?

--
 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha@xxxxxxxxxx   http://gradha.infierno.org