Re: [AD] WinME

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:46:44PM +0100, Vincent Penquerc'h wrote:
> > They link with it at run-time, yes, unless you tell them
> > otherwise.  When testing AllegroGL with custom versions of
> > Allegro, I always do a `make install' because it's too
> > inconvenient otherwise.  But if you're just trying out the
> > Allegro example programs to test your changes, and would rather
> > jump through hoops than install the new library, you can set
> > environment variables to tell the run-time linker to use a
> > different copy of the library.
>
> ack, yes, i didn't think of this before, but it's not something that
> could be done easily ... i was thinking along the lines of linking
> with something like lib/.../allegro.a instead of -lalleg, as the
> makefile already does, but it won't help :/ sorry for the noise.

You can use -Wl,*** to pass option *** to the linker, at link
time, and, using this method, specify run-time linking options
(this is how the soname is specified, for instance).  One option
you can pass is the preload option -- the given library will be
loaded at run-time before other references are resolved.  With
this option, you could specify the actual location of the
uninstalled Allegro library.  Perhaps we should do this; I'm not
sure.

There are some notes in readme.unx about how to use Allegro
without installing it, mostly aimed at people who don't have
root access to the host machine.

George