RE: [AD] Windows sound config

> > When I did the same thing in Windows, *using
> DIGI_DIRECTAMX(0)*, it failed
> > to read the config file. The quality was always the same (I
> believe it was
> > using quality = 1).

Er, I have a feeling it wasn't actually, on second thoughts. The quality was
better than in DOS. Maybe it was failing to use the Allegro mixer at all...

> There is a bug in the 3.9.34 version: the global digital volume can't be
> modified (either by set_volume() or through the digi_volume config
> variable). Could this have some effect on the quality ?

No. :-) However, the digital volume bug may be linked with the quality bug.
I'm not sure. Can anyone investigate?

Note that the quality will only make a difference on 16-bit drivers.

> > In src/mixer.c, the _sound_hq variable is responsible for sound quality.
> > In src/win/wdsndmix.c, there's loads of DirectX stuff I don't
> understand,
> > then a call to _mixer_init() from src/mixer.c. _sound_hq is not modified
> > anywhere.
>
> AFAIK the variable _sound_hq is actually used only by the
> src/mixer.c file.
>
> > In src/sound.c, install_sound() calls read_sound_config().
> > read_sound_config() uses the standard config functions to read _sound_hq
> > from the file.
>
> Quite right.

Which raises the question, why doesn't it work? :-(

I'm about to travel, meaning I won't have access to any e-mails already
sent. Can I leave this in your capable hands? :-) Of course I can still
reply to e-mails sent from now on...

Ben Davis