Re: [AD] display switch bug

On 10 Apr 2001, at 23:37, Eric Botcazou wrote:

> > The attached code crashes (reboots) Windows 2000 when I Alt-Tab
> > away from the program. I compiled it using MinGW and tried both
> > WIP 3935 and CVS with the asm blit bug fixed.
>
> Looks like you've got a very nice system ;-)

Hardly ;-). It's become unstable since I tested those asm blit fixes.
I can still play Serious Sam for six hours straight (yeah I know, I'll
get a life), but if I reboot and leave the computer for five minutes, it
might have frozen when I return (happened yesterday). Do you
think the asm blit bug could have permanently damaged my
system?

> Could you try again some modifications:
> - use create_video_bitmap() and create_system_bitmap(),
> - comment out the blit() call in restoreDisplay(),
> - put a pair of acquire_screen()/release_screen() around it,
> - use GFX_DIRECTX_SOFT and GFX_DIRECTX_SAFE.

Nothing works. I disabled automatically rebooting, and this is the
message on the "Blue Screen of Death":

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xD24D37B8, 0x00000001, 0xED4D3833,
0x00000000)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Does this make any sense?

Anyway, remember I told you the first asm blit fix freezed my
system first time I ran it? Well, testing the things above my system
froze three times right after typing program name at command
prompt (ie. before Allegro sets graphics mode). Restarting and
retyping, and it works (apart from the task switching that is). Could
there be a bug in Allegro init code or is my system FUBAR?

--
Daniel Schlyder
http://home.no.net/dasc/