Re: [AD] win directx Joystick driver

> Hmm... NT isn't much of a gaming platform. It never has been, so why do we
> want so eagerly to support it by maintaining backwards compatibility with
> a stoneage version of DirectX? IMHO Directx 5 would be a fair minimum
> choice for Allegro.

Dropping the Windows NT4 support is a very political decision ;-)
And as someone previously said it, Allegro is more than a pure gaming
library so some people could disagree.

> even in a driver ?
> people who don't have a version > 3 would have to select another driver,
> but this shouldn't prevent people who have a newser version to use that.
> am i missing something ?

The problem is that, according to the DirectX docs, you must target only one
version of DirectInput at compile time, so if the joystick driver code
targets DirectInput 5.0 then both the mouse and the keyboard codes should do
it too.
And I don't know if a DirectX 5-targeted program can run with the DirectX 3
runtime libs, even if it only uses the DirectX 3 interface.

> (i have a strange feeling of deja vu ....)

Me too !

> - directx uses com to fetch its interfaces
> since this scheme is possible through processes, or through a corba like
> rpc mechanism, you *must* be able to *not* link.

Yes, I think the linking stage is not really a problem.

--
Eric Botcazou
ebotcazou@xxxxxxxxxx