Re: [AD] Possible bug in src/libc.c

Stepan Roh <stepan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Code above was not tested (not even compiled) and was written from scratch
> directly into mail. It won't check against supplementary groups, which it
> should (to be perfect! :-) ).

I've committed the correct version as is.

> But finally, my opinion is that those FA_* constants should be removed and
> replaced with something like AA_FILE, AA_DIR (AA as Allegro attribute) and
> maybe AA_HIDDEN. Those FA_RDONLY, FA_SYSTEM etc. are totally useless. Not
> counting that for example on OS/2 you can define your own attributes (but
> we have no OS/2 port, so don't mind).

The API was designed by some DOS idiot.  We can't fix stupidity.

Ok, arrogance OFF: findfirst/findnext originated from DOS compiler
C libraries, and Allegro is just emulating the behaviour.  If we
replace FA_* with AA_* then we need to rename findfirst/findnext,
and also compile in these new routines even if findfirst/findnext
already exist.  And to be backward compatible we would have to have
*both* sets of routines available.  Not worth it.

--
tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.psynet.net/tjaden/
A witty remark proves nothing.