Re: [AD] Quick patch to clean up after dependency removal

On Mon, Dec 25, 2000 at 08:56:01PM +0100, Henrik Stokseth wrote:
> On Monday 25 December 2000 20:02, you wrote:
>
> > On sourceforge I have posted a quick patch which adds some more
> > `tmpfile.txt' files in obj/*/* (these were only in obj/unix/*), to
> > ensure that CVS works correctly and that zipfiles, etc., work correctly.
> > Downloading from CVS only gave me the obj/unix/ directory.
>
> don't commit it. a cvs update -d will get the empty directories, just like
> a normal checkout will.

But "cvs update -d -P" won't get them.  `-P' means skip empty
directories, so that's the expected behaviour, but the only way
to remove a directory from the CVS repository (at present) is to
make it be empty.  IMHO the only way to get useful behaviour
here is to use -P all the time (otherwise you'll keep getting
that `perl' directory back, for instance).  So if we want to
have empty directories in the CVS tree, we need to put dummy
files in them, just as we do in releases.

IIRC in the Unix makefiles non-existent directories are
automatically created, but maybe this isn't the case in Windows.

> note: i did a little bummer a few days ago in cvs. i did a 'cvs release perl'
> command and now i have trouble removing that directory completely. i sent
> george a mail about it but i didn't get any answer. can somebody fix that?
> thanks...

I did reply, but I think the mail may have bounced since I may
have sent it from work, behind a firewall (the mail's envelope
would use an invalid IP address).  Basically, your command was
totally harmless (it probably just removed the `CVS' directory
from your working copy), and the reason the `perl' directory
keeps coming back is that you don't use the `-P' option.

Sometime in the future SourceForge will be giving project admins
shell access to the repository, which will allow us to e.g.
remove the `perl' directory completely.  We can't do that at the
moment though, and generally it's not a nice thing to do (CVS
can do funny things if you tweak the repository by hand).

George

--
Random project update:
22/06/2000: AllegroGL alpha 8 released at http://allegrogl.sourceforge.net/