Re: [AD] new dependencies

On Mon, Dec 25, 2000 at 12:09:33PM -0700, stephen.kittelson@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Then could we add a target for creating 'makefile.dep' if it doesn't
> exsist?
> For example:
> $(OBJDIR)/makefile.dep:
>         gcc -MM $(wildcard *.c) > _depend.tmp
>         sed -e "s/^\([a-zA-Z0-9_]*\.o:\)/\$$(OBJDIR)\/\1/" _depend.tmp >
> $(OBJDIR)/makefile.dep
>         rm _depend.tmp
>
> Would that work?

Assuming `make depend' already works (with the minus sign
present), we could just write:

    $(OBJDIR)/makefile.dep: depend

Then if the makefile.dep doesn't exist, Make will automatically
do a `make depend'.  But it won't do the inclusion until you
rerun Make.  However, I think this also means that dependencies
will be regenerated every time you run Make, which is probably
not a good idea (it takes a while).

The Unix makefile seems to handle this fairly well already; I
think I've noticed it automatically generating dependencies
in the past.

George

--
Random project update: