Re: [AD] This time GFX_SAFE for real

> But no, you aren't supposed to change resolution or color depth at runtime
> with the framebuffer. Anyway, I am going to ask the guru's at the fb
> mailing list, maybe there's some event sent to applications to notify of
> the resolution change.

And the answer is no, you aren't suposed to change resolution, but this is
a fb design problem. At the moment, you shouldn't be able to change other
consoles' resolution, but happens like that. The fb mantainers would like
to write a... wait, I will just put the answer:

   "Their is really nothing that can be done except reworking the graphics
layer for linux. What is needed is a RRM (Rendering resource manager).
When a app open /dev/fbX it should register itself with the RRM. With a
app changes the resolution a the RRM takes notice and then sends a signal
to all the other apps using /dev/fbX. Then it is up to the userland app to
handle this change. The one big difference I like to see from IRIX way fo
handling this is on IRIX their is a master node which is the only one
allowed to do privilaged things like change a vidoe mode. By privilaged I
mean a hardware event that changes the video cards state where it impacts
all other processes using the video hardware. For linux I like to see any
process being able to do this."

Which means I can rest until this RRM thing is written :) I guess this
would be something like ncurses' resize events, and I don't think most
games would take any advantage from this event apart from locking it.

 Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz   gradha@xxxxxxxxxx - http://gradha.infierno.org
 Other web pages:  http://glub.ehu.es/  -  http://welcome.to/gogosoftware/