Re: [AD] What about BeAllegro?

> Has sound been added?  You only mention MIDI, but I know I did not get
> around to writing a sound driver.  I think I remember someone adding
> digital sound, but I never got to test it because I have not had a machine
> compatible with BeOS for a while (are their still no GeForce drivers?)

You haven't followed the AD list a lot recently, haven't you? =)
The Be sound driver was written a while ago by Peter Wang and it works nicely...

> Joystick drivers are also missing, as well as cleaning up string handling
> (UTF-8, Unicode and all that)

...and I added the Be joystick driver recently =)

> I only ever confirmed BeAllegro to work with my TNT card in my computer so
> there is no telling why it is crashing.  Does it completely lock up the
> system?

I have a TNT2 too, but I'm not that expert with BeOS, so maybe I made something
wrong with the driver installation. No, only Allegro programs crash; they
start, but I can just see a screen filled with junk for a while, and then
the program crashes and the control returns to BeOS. I'll mail you privately as
this seems to go a bit off-topic here...

(from Peter Wang:)
> Don't worry about it :-)  I'm sure any bugs will get picked up
> eventually.  Of course, reading some introductory information (e.g.
> from the BeBook) helps.

I've started investigating for a Be MIDI driver; if I start to write it, I'll
use the BMidiSynth class as a base. Hopefully I'll be able to start working on
it soon... I just hope I can make it. Of course the BeBook is a great source
of help, not only for threads programming.

> When I get the equipment and the time I'll work on it.  Should be some
> time before the end of the year.

Cool. Let's see if we can make the Be port working and up to date for official
WIP 3.9.34...

--
Angelo Mottola
a.mottola@xxxxxxxxxx