Re: [AD] Paletted Bitmap Grabber PlugIn & Allegro Extension

Jörg Rüppel <sharky-x@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please tell me what you think and please apply this patch since I
> don't have CVS access.

I don't know about everyone else, but I think this is too specific
to be part of the standard API.  I have a feeling this would work
just as well purely as a grabber plugin.

Your concern is that images take up too much space on disk.  But
once a image is loaded into memory, it doesn't require its own
palette, correct?  If so, `PAL_BITMAP' is not needed.

If absolutely necessary, it'd be preferable to extend the plugin
system to be more flexible rather than putting in a one-off feature
like this.  For example, we could allow linking the datafile
utilities with external libraries so you could keep such code
separate.  Bonus: addons like loadpng which require external
libraries could build with grabber plugins much more easily.

--
tjaden@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.psynet.net/tjaden/
You can't judge software by its default configuration.