Re: [AD] Patch for fixed bugs with Soundscape DOS driver

> I don't think we should replace inportb(outportb) kind of functions
> with inp(outp) without understanding why they don't work for you.
>
> There is almost no difference between inp(outp) and inportb(outportb).
> inp(outp) just jumps to the inportb(outportb) and DJGPP usually uses
> inline code for inportb(outportb).

I used to believe the same like you... but then why Allegro 3.12 (that uses inp/outp) works and WIP 3.9.32
(inportb/outportb) doesn't work? Personally I've also always used inportb/outportb (more readable), but this time I was
forced to use the others. If they are the same, i.e. inp/outp are like macros that use inportb/outportb, then why old
Allegro works? I've compiled both 3.12 and 3.9.32 with the latest DJGPP packages, just installed, and under the same
platform (Win95 DOS box).

> There is one difference, inp(outp) are longer than inportb(outportb).
> Instead of replacing inportb with inp, try to add delays after port
> accesses, or look in your BIOS setup for ISA-bus speed option.  There
> are some strange computers with non standard ISA-bus speed, where some
> ISA-cards may work faster, but some cards just don't work correctly.

Hummm... Adding delays could be a solution, but then it brings me again to think inp/outp are different from
inportb/outportb; why the first ones need delays, while the others work anyway? Again, Allegro 3.12 does work with my
SB 64 PCI, and it uses inp/outp.

Don't get me wrong, I also hate these "magic" solutions, but this time it seems like it's the way to get it to work on
my computer. Anyway I'll try more hacks, even if I believe the problem is there... If adding delays after
inportb/outportb will work, then it'll be sure they are different from inp/outp.

By the way, is there anyone out there with my same problem? I'm in contact with a guy on ICQ that has the same problem
(i.e. the WIP DOS Soundscape driver doesn't work, while with 3.12 it worked), but with a SB 128 PCI. Anyone else?

--
Angelo Mottola
a.mottola@xxxxxxxxxx