[AD] Improving the mouse

I'm having some trouble making the mouse pointer "pretty";
The system I'm using uses a screen buffering system that is (reasonably)
clever, but it makes the mouse look pretty horrendous.  If I draw the
mouse to the screen, it flickers out of view as the buffer paints over
it.
If I draw the mouse to the backbuffer, it's invisible until the buffer
decides that it's time to draw tiself (generally, when something changes
its contents)

So, does anyone have any usefull suggestions as to how to draw the mouse
in a "pretty" way?

Thanks.