Re: [AD] A new mouse driver

Mikko Ohtamaa <mikkooh@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Stefan's driver doesn't work in windowed mode ( two cursor ) and the mouse
> cursor moves always too slow.

I think you have an old Allegro version: I fixed that in 3.9.30. There's
still only one mouse driver, but it mixes DirectInput for fullscreen with
GetCursorPos() calls for windowed mode, so that works fine now. I think
we have to go on using DirectInput wherever possible, because without it
you can't get accurate mickey-mode input.

> This one, which doesn't use DirectInput (tm), works in a window too and
> moves more softly.

You had problems with the mouse moving too fast? For me it's the
opposite: when you run your program in a hires mode, it goes way too
slow. But it's already moving a whole pixel for each unit that Windows
reports, so I don't know how to speed it up without losing precision,
unless there is some call to increase the input resolution...

> When (gui) routines hide the mouse cursor show_mouse creates timer for
> mouse_move function. Creating timer ( install_int ) needs hundreds of
> milliseconds on my P233.

Really? It would be interesting if you could profile this a bit to see
exactly what part is taking so long, and also which of the various timer
drivers it is using. That certainly doesn't sound right to me, and it
isn't nearly so slow on any of the machines that I've tried...

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."