Re: [AD] CVS access to Allegro

Stepan Roh wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Isaac Cruz wrote:
>
> > I think we could give CVS a try, but keeping at the same time the old
> > method of releasing a new WIP with a list of changes, and posting
> > patches to this list

Just what I had in mind.

> Sorry for mentioning Freeciv again. Freeciv has CVS. Few core developers
> have non-public CVS access.

I imagine our setup would be the same.

> Changes in CVS are automatically mentioned on
> the list freeciv-cvs with description of changes. Each time CVS is changed
> they release archives with names like freeciv-cvs-Apr-04.tar.bz2 and
> freeciv-cvs-Apr-03-Apr-04.diff.bz2. Patches are sent to freeciv-dev and
> after they are tested they are written into CVS - so CVS version is
> something like Allegro WIP, but released quickly.

Too quickly.  The idea is that release announcements prompt people to
upgrade their software, but if announcements are made too often, then
people will start ignoring them.

As for automatically creating ChangeLogs from the CVS logs, these will
not be very useful, as they will probably go *too* low-level.  Someone
still needs to sift through the previous week's commit logs, then create
a human-glanceable list (e.g., collating a bunch of fixes into "Many bug
fixes").

Peter
(sorry if Netscape screws this message)