[AD] Allegro 3.9.32

... is on http://www.sunsite.auc.dk/allegro/wip.html. I sort of lied when
I said I'd get it done this weekend, since it is now Monday, but I
haven't been to sleep yet so I think this still counts :-)

Note to people who are reading this on the main Allegro list: if you are
going to use the latest WIP versions, it is probably a good idea to also
subscribe to the developers list (conductors@xxxxxxxxxx). That
usually has very low traffic, but being subscribed there means you will
get to see any nice bugfixes or other patches that come floating by, so
you can apply them yourself if you particularly need those problems
fixed, rather than having to wait for me to do it in the next WIP.

Changes since 3.9.31:

   S.Sakamaki added a function for controlling the refresh rate when
   using the DOS VESA 3.0 driver (this could also be supported by some
   other drivers if anyone wants to implement that).

   S.Suzuki added DOS drivers for the IF-SEGA /PCI, /PCI2, and /ISA
   joystick interface cards.

   Fabrizio Gennari added DOS drivers for multisystem joysticks with
   9-pin connectors (Atari, Commodore 64, MSX).

   Peter Pavlovic improved the support for accented character maps in the
   keyboard driver.

   Sven Sandberg optimised the GUI listbox scrolling to skip redraws if
   it can't keep up with the update speed.

   Olly Betts did some work to make cross-compiling the djgpp version
   work on Linux.

   Isaac Cruz improved the windowed mode ddraw driver, adding support for
   many different color depth conversions.

   Vincent Penquerc'h added an update selection function to the grabber.

   Many bugfixes from various people.

   zipup.sh now generates dependencies entirely using standard Unix tools
   and gcc, so it can setup all the supported platforms without needing
   those compilers to be available (ie. I can create Watcom, BeOS, and
   Mingw32 dependencies all from my Linux machine). This does require a
   bit of cooperation from the different targets, though: they have to
   set up their "make depend" target to override the standard gcc
   defines, and wrap any non-standard header includes with "#ifndef
   SCAN_DEPEND".

   Fixed (I hope :-) bug with non-GMT timezones in the datafile update
   code.

   Rewrote the Unicode usprintf() to piggyback on libc when converting
   floating point data (too hard to get this right ourselves :-)

What comes next:

   I'm going to be continuing my state of being around but busy: it is my
   last day at Probe tommorrow, then I have a fortnight to get moved into
   a new flat, before starting work at Climax Software's new Brighton
   studio on the 27th. So if nobody else wants to do this I can still
   keep getting WIP's out every now and then, but if anyone else happens
   to have more free time than you know what to do with, you could
   probably get this done more punctually than I will be able to. This is
   entirely up to you lot: if anyone wants to take over, or maybe set up
   a CVS system so that several people can contribute, I'll do everything
   I can to help get that going, but you need to take the initiative in
   saying what you want to happen. Otherwise it will go on defaulting to
   me getting things done whenever I have time for them.

   There's plenty of awkward stuff listed in the todo file, unfortunately
   mostly to do with Windows at the moment :-)

   On the plus side, my new zipup.sh can build a full distro anywhere
   that has bash, sed, and gcc: it works for me in Linux, but should also
   be ok using the djgpp tools or on BeOS. All it takes to package up the
   next version is now:

      misc/fixver.sh 3 9 33 WIP
      misc/zipup.sh all3933.zip ~/backup/all3932.zip
      cd ..
      allegro/misc/mkunixdists.sh all3932.zip

   This will leave you with a set of .zip, .tar.gz, and .rpm files ready
   to be uploaded. And the new system actually makes a better archive
   than before: I didn't use to be able to include BeOS or Mingw32
   dependencies, but can create those now even without having the
   compilers installed.

Random comment:

   NiN 'The Fragile' is a great album, especially when played very loud
   through headphones somewhere round about this time of day.

--
Shawn Hargreaves - shawn@xxxxxxxxxx - http://www.talula.demon.co.uk/
"A binary is barely software: it's more like hardware on a floppy disk."