Re: [AD] Bloat Issues

Olly Betts wrote:
> Allegro 3.1 (built with gcc 2.7.2): 387,584
> Allegro 3.9.31 (with gcc 2.95.2):   628,888
> Ditto, without sound/midi/joystick: 478,720

It's still larger because the support files for the midi initializer
called is still pulled, just not the drivers and their support files.

> Which is a bit more like it.  It would be cleaner if the library
> structure allowed the linker to decide which drivers are never going
> to be used by a program automatically, but at least you aren't stuck
> with pulling them all in.

I agree.  Having to explicitly say that there are no sound drivers is a
silly way to stop including them if they're not called.  Constructors
are bad.  They're evil, the worst bug in GCC.  We should all petition
Shawn to get rid of them once he gets back, incompatible interface
changes or no.  If someone wants midi, they better damn well ask for
it.  Why does this violation of modular segregation exist?