Re: [AD] Allegro assembly code + OMF

Shawn Hargreaves wrote:

> > Actually my main motivation behind this was so that people (i.e. me)
> > could compile their own .DLLs without buying MSVC.
>
> Yeah, I think that's an important ability to have. A gcc build goes some
> of the way to solving that, but it would be even better to get to the
> point where all compilers can build it themselves. Rewriting all the asm
> files seems like a bit too much work to justify, though :-)

Actually I think I'm getting close(r) to a solution to this, so stay tuned . . .
A2I (an AT&T/gas -> Intel/NASM converter) just might be able to do the trick
when equipped with a really nasty sed script.  I haven't had much time to work
on this because schoolwork, which unfortunately has to have a high priority
right now :( but I think if I get some time to work on this then I should be
able to fit it in before Allegro 4.0 is released (cross your fingers about this
one).

This might be especially useful/important in light of the announcement from
Inprise/Corel that the core Borland C++ 5.5 command-line compilers will be
released free (http://community.borland.com/article/0,1410,20633,00.html), since
I imagine that BCC32 will have a lot greater user base once it's freely
available.  Heck, maybe they'll even throw in a linker that works with more than
those $#@!^#$ OMF object files :)