Re: [AD] about DX windowed mode (& more)

Isaac Cruz wrote:

> Does video cards support 64 bit writes to video mem? That is, using movq
> [video_mem], mm0. I think PCI is only 32 bit wide, but would this slow things
> too much? Would it be better using two 32 bit writes instead of one 64 bit
> write?

AFAIK yes, on my old ISA card i could write 32bits at once to video
memory
even though the bus only was 16bit so I think it would be safe to write
64bits at once.
It should be faster since it requires only one cpu instruction instead
of two.
(data will still be transferred in two passes over the bus though)
if you find that it is impossible you could always use a REP STOSDW or
something.

BTW! you don't need to worry about writing assembly for other win32
compilers.
for the moment only msvc compiles the library, and when the linker from
the
selfhosting version of mingw32 has matured i can guarantee you someone
will
finish that code off. i've already converted one msvc asm routine.

BTW#2! shawn: keep my patch on your harddrive for now, it should
magically work
when the mingw32 tools have matured. or you could include it in allegro
since it doesn't do any harm. but if you do you should add an extra:
'WARNING!!! this version is intended for testing only!!!' in the readme
file. :)

--
Sincerely Henrik Stokseth.
E-Mail: hstokset@xxxxxxxxxx