Re: [AD] windowed mode patch

Shawn Hargreaves <shawn@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Isaac Cruz <icruzbal@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > - new global variable, desktop_color_depth (only in Windows code)
> I'm not sure how directly the color depth will apply to X code, as not all X
> hardware even has a single global color depth setting (Michael? Is there
> a call that can tell us this without having to create a window first?), but
> it could certainly be useful for other windowed environments (BeOS springs
> to mind).

After installing SYSTEM_XWIN driver in allegro_init (install_allegro),
window depth is accessible as _xwin.window_depth.  It should not be
used as fastest color depth, though.  Best color depth for Allegro
screen can be calculated by the following table:

window_depth    set_color_depth

  <= 8           8
  <= 16          16
  other          32

Whether resulting Allegro color depth is fast or not will be clear
after creating screen bitmap in set_gfx_mode.

Historical note: in XwinAllegro I tried to find best visual by
searching through them and matching with requested color depth, but
that was rather large and not reliable code and could benefit only
for X servers that support visuals with different color depths on one
Screen.

--
Michael Bukin