From: VERSTEEGH@xxxxxx [mailto:VERSTEEGH@xxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 1999 1:21 PM
To: Vincent PENQUERC'H
Subject: RE: [AD] Datafile table of contents caching

> Do you plan to add a 'prescan' facility ?
That might be a good idea, I could easily add it if it's needed.

I plan to have the following api functions to control the cache

(please suggest good names for them, I haven't yet thought about that
;-)

set_nr_of_files_to_cache(int nr) ; (0 turns caching off)
keep_in_cache(char *datafile); makes it so that this file won't ever
   get pushed out of the cache (in case you have one large file, and
want only ttat one cached)

grr, terminal screws up, I hope you can understand what I mean.

and perhaps
prescan_cache(char *datafile)

please make any suggestions you people might think useful

right now for each datafile the entire table of contents is cached,
should I put a limit on that? I decided not to because I think that
would
make the caching less useful, but if anybody thinks different about that
I'd
like to know.

Martijn

Oh darn, forgot to change the adress to conductors@...
Vinecent could you forward it for me? (this mail program
won't allow me to save the message before sending, or to change the
adress
won't allow me to save the message before sending, or to change the
adres

(and I can't correct typo's either (no backspace etc ;-(